Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 13 (Who?), Viewed: 633 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 11:42 PM Last edited by nitromon : 4th Aug 2018 at 12:05 AM.
Default Landscaping
Hi,

I'm trying to upload more lots, hence all the questions. Hope you guys don't mind.

I want to upload a recreation of the Tower 49 from Oblivion. I finished it a couple of years ago, but have learned new techniques since then to improve it and now it really stands up as a tower.

Here's the question and I know it may seem silly, but I have been debating this one for a while on this lot. The tower is meant to be perched in some isolated area. I know people can place it wherever they want, but for the style to fit the background I have tried it alone on a single island in IP, in Sim China and Egypt perched up high on the mountain by itself.

Because of this, I am reluctant to landscape the ground floor. Depending on where you want to place the lot, the ground floor can be landscaped differently to meet the location. I want to just leave it mostly empty for the user to decide. Also, I think regardless the ground floor should be naturally decorated, to make it artificial like a garden or a fountain, etc... would again, detract from the purpose of this lot. If the ground floor looks so beautiful, why would they live in a tower? In the movie, the Earth was a wasteland, hence why they live in the tower.

So the question is, I know I'm going to get knocked off points for the landscaping during upload, but will it be significant enough to be denied upload? I will write this explanation in the lot description during upload, both to the mod approving it and to the downloaders.

Or do you suggest someway I can landscape it to meet the style of this building?

Thanks!

---------------

Edit: Also, I know this is probably going to be a miss, but I thought I ask anyways. When I built this lot, a few years ago, I chose a 40x40 lot. It is way bigger than it needs to be. The house can fit on a 30x30. For the longest time, this reduction is impossible, but so far every page I've googled are from 5-8 yrs ago. Has there been any new development on this? A mod or a program to reduce existing house lot size?

It actually looks ok, but 40x40 reduces the possible locations for the lot, especially when you want it in some high remote area.

Thanks again!

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:08 AM
Landscaping doesn't necessarily mean lots of flowerbeds and terrain paint. You can also decorate with debris/scrap parts, small rocks, puddles, craters etc. I haven't seen that movie so I'm not sure what the ground would look like. You can also throw some objects in and char them with NRAAS DE.
Some plants, like brambles or grass might look more appropriate than flowering bushes. There are also burnt trees.

[edit] To my knowledge there are still no possibilities for Sims 3 to reduce lot size. The only option here is to rebuild on a smaller lot.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
You can also decorate with debris/scrap parts, small rocks, puddles, craters etc. I haven't seen that movie so I'm not sure what the ground would look like. You can also throw some objects in and char them with NRAAS DE.
Some plants, like brambles or grass might look more appropriate than flowering bushes. There are also burnt trees.

Hey thanks for the reply,

Would it be better for me to choose a locale and decorate, leaving the downloader to delete and change themselves? Or perhaps a general decoration that would meet all different kind of locale - Desert, IP, China, etc..?

In the movie, Earth was a desert wasteland. The tower is perched on top of a desert mountain range. I think if I have to choose a locale and set it as the main locale for the upload, I'd choose Egypt. It would be the closest.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 4:04 AM
I think where you set the lot is up to you, and unless it is custom built for a particular lot, downloaders will place it in a variety of settings. I agree with Norn that landscaping can mean many things. If you explain the reason for the sparse landscaping in the body of the upload, the queue mod, and players, will understand. I don't think that alone would be a reason to reject the upload. I suggest you look at Floraflora2's lots. She does many builds based on GTA, with a wide variety of landscaping. I think her lots will help you decide on a plan for your tower.

There is no way that I know of to move a build to a smaller lot. We get that question pretty regularly. I would encourage you to rebuild it. It will go so much faster the second time, when all the decisions are already made. Every time I've rebuilt a lot, and as most builders- that is many times, the lot has gotten better. I think it has something to do with seeing it from a fresh perspective. Good luck!

Need help building? Mentoring for Builders: Click Here

Looking for an amazing new Sci-Fi world? Visit SATURENORN
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 4:37 AM Last edited by nitromon : 4th Aug 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by attuned
I would encourage you to rebuild it. It will go so much faster the second time, when all the decisions are already made.

Thanks, but ahhh... that's not going to happen with this lot. It's a pain in the butt to make, using a lot of tweaks and tricks.

It's ok though, it doesn't look that out of place. Just would be a lot more flexible in location if it is 30x30.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the lot so far. I'm in IP, so I stuck it on an island. As you can see the ground floor is pretty empty. I would probably decorate it with shipwreck deco, some palm trees. However, if I place this lot in Egypt, that wouldn't fit.

Here's what I did quickly while in Island Paradise. Just a jungle + some shipwreck items. But this would look out of place in a desert edition though. I thought about uploading different versions, but I am already doing that b/c there's the original version as close to the movie as I can and then there's the weather proof edition.

------------

Edit: Also, if anyone know a way to create a glass pool floor, please do share. All my research yield it is impossible, but those were again from website pages 5-8 yrs ago. It is the one thing that would perfect this lot. Thanks!
Screenshots

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:05 PM
Lovely! You can leave the edges of the flat lot flat and landscape around the tower. That shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure cfe is turned off.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
Lovely! You can leave the edges of the flat lot flat and landscape around the tower. That shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure cfe is turned off.

Thanks! I think I'll do that for the desert one and upload different versions.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 4:20 AM
Okay, that is very cool. I can see it in a wasteland, but also in an island paradise. You should consider a writing a tutorial for the nifty build techniques you have used.

Need help building? Mentoring for Builders: Click Here

Looking for an amazing new Sci-Fi world? Visit SATURENORN
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:48 AM Last edited by nitromon : 7th Aug 2018 at 7:25 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by attuned
Okay, that is very cool. I can see it in a wasteland, but also in an island paradise. You should consider a writing a tutorial for the nifty build techniques you have used.

Oh they're nothing new, they're techniques I'm sure most people are aware of already. This building just happens to require all of these techniques to create.

So a few things:
- CFE to create the tower, the skyscraper technique.
- Originally I build this without CFE, so I used columns to create the platform and build the structure, then remove the columns. But I think the same can be done by using CFE to create tall walls like the tower first and then build the building then delete the walls.
- I think I used the placefriezes to create the landing platform across the pool. That took some effort, don't remember which came first, the pool or the platform. Also I don't remember how I was able to delete the friezes but kept the floor tile.
- Lastly as that top observation room. Previous version has it connected to the roof b/c it reached the 5 floor maximum. So Just learned how to build 6th floor with the mansard roof technique. It was a pain in the butt as well b/c though the room is rectangle, the wall behind the stair is also on the 6th floor and it took a lot of trial and error to finally get all the walls I wanted.

----

So one of the reason why rebuilding this would be such a pain in addition to all those techniques is that I originally build this with only the 5 floors available, so mostly normal building techniques. But because of that I had to compromise some aspects. If I am rebuilding this, I need at least 2 more floors.
- Right now the elevator goes up to 1 floor and from there you transfer across to a spiral stair. To make it more like the movie, I need 1 more floor here, which then I can connect a regular stair from the elevator going up to another floor for the spiral stair.
- Also the top observation, the top piece is a 1/2 wall that connects right onto the building. There should be a "gap" there, which requires another 1/2 wall space, but that will require an additional floor.

The additional floors will push at least 1 of the main floor into the mansard floor, which is a pain in the butt to do b/c every wall on that floor must be done via mansard technique, which is really meant more for square rooms.

Edit: Now that I think about it... I only need to move it up 1 floor for that stair connecting the elevator to the spiral stair... Ah... so tempted to just modify this to get that stair. That stair I think is also iconic to this structure, just not the same without it.

----------

Edit: Ok, I'm going to rebuild this lot. I want that stair!!! I'm also thinking of making it taller, maybe twice as tall.

Funny thing though... so I'm measuring the building to rebuild it and the house require 20x35. Since we can't build around the edge, so it requires a lot of 22x37. I forgot to count the platform extension which added another 10 to the length, the building itself is 20x25.

LOL so it won't fit a 30x30 after all. Now I'm wondering if I should put it on a 40x30 lot or keep it on a 40x40 lot.
Screenshots

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 6:58 AM Last edited by nitromon : 9th Aug 2018 at 2:01 PM.
*bump*

You guys are right, the 2nd time IS much easier. lol

----

Edit: Ran into a snag. For some reason I cannot build 8 floors, only 7. So had to come up with a new method to do the stairs. It worked out, but I had to start from scratch. In this screenshot, the long stair is not 2 floors, but 1 floor with 2 different heights. Did not even know this was possible until today.

Screenshots

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 11:36 AM
That is one crazy creation

If you build it on a mountaintop and cfe the basement as well, you might get more floors to play with. You can remove the top off the ground. Have you tried moving the house from the library onto a new lot? Sometimes they get distorted.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 8:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
That is one crazy creation

If you build it on a mountaintop and cfe the basement as well, you might get more floors to play with. You can remove the top off the ground. Have you tried moving the house from the library onto a new lot? Sometimes they get distorted.

Hey it is completed: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=616484

I think this is as far as I can go with it. I originally wanted to double the height using the skyscraper technique. But b/c the bottom stairs only uses 1 uneven level, it was really a pain in the butt to get it exactly 2 level height for the stairs to work. This is done with 7 floors, I couldn't do 8, it won't exit to edit town. I think it might have to do with the basement? I don't know if that counts as a level.

Has anyone done Seattle space needle restaurant tower? I thought of making one, but then thought it is too cliche and someone probably already made one. If I'm making one, it won't require that many floors or special tech like the stair, so it would be easier to raise that one as high as possible.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 11:33 PM
I did a quick Internet search and found the space needle only as an object. (I'm not sure it was ever completed.) As best I can tell, no one has attempted it as a build. If anyone can do it, I'm sure you can. Your Oblivion tower is amazing!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old Yesterday at 6:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmyRN
I did a quick Internet search and found the space needle only as an object. (I'm not sure it was ever completed.) As best I can tell, no one has attempted it as a build. If anyone can do it, I'm sure you can. Your Oblivion tower is amazing!

Haha, thanks. I'll put the space needle in my build list. It'll take a while, got a lot of other lots I want to build. :D

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.